Before my family and I became vegan, my Mother’s signature dish that we’d ask for time and time again was her Cheese and Onion Quiche (we call it a Flan!). Hers was made in the traditional way with eggs, milk and cheese. It ‘s been my mission to replicate my Mother’s quiche as close as I could, so my family and I could once again enjoy this nostalgic centrepiece. What makes this spectacularly tasty is the wholesome, oaty crust; you could buy a pre-made short crust base to save time. This is a basic quiche recipe and I often add different vegetables to the filling such as mushrooms, tomatoes or broccoli – experiment!
- 200g Wholemeal Flour
- 100g Oats
- 6 Tbs Olive/Vegetable Oil
- 6 Tbs Water
- 1 Red Onion & 1 White Onion
- 1 Heaped Tsp Margarine
- 1 Pack (300/346g) of Firm Tofu
- 100g Gram/Chickpea Flour
- ½ Pack (c. 125g) Vegan Cheddar Cheese (that melts!)
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Black Salt (Kala Namak) *Optional – this salt has an eggy taste, but regular salt is also good!
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees. Combine with a wooden spoon the Wholemeal Flour, Oats and Oil in a mixing bowl. Gradually add water until the consistency becomes dough-like.
- Take a section of the crust mixture and flatten with your hands, then press into a 9” springform quiche dish. Continue in sections until all the crust mixture has covered the base and up the sides. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the Onions, leaving aside several Red Onion rings (to decorate). Heat the margarine in a saucepan and add the Onions, Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder. Fry for 10 minutes on a low heat until the onions become soft.
- Turn the heat off and then add the Firm Tofu, Gram Flour and Vegan Cheese. Mix until fully combined.
- Pour the filling mixture into the base/crust, smooth over the top, and decorate with the Red Onion rings.
- Place in the oven for around 40 minutes, until browned on top.
- Remove from the springform tin, and leave to cool/set for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving suggestions: Salad / Potato Salad / Roasted Root Vegetables.
To watch the Youtube video of this recipe, please click the link: